Winter is a historically harsh season. The cold temperatures and icy air can negatively affect both people and machines, including your portable air compressor in Columbus, GA. An improperly functioning air compressor is practically useless any time of year. Luckily, following a few simple maintenance tips will ensure that your portable air compressor will run smoothly regardless of what the weather is like outside.
Service your unit
One of the simplest, yet most effective ways to make sure your unit is at its peak performance all season long is to perform a few maintenance steps on a semiannual basis. Plan to either perform maintenance tasks yourself or have a professional do the job at least twice a year. Completing the following checks will help your unit remain strong year-round:
- Inspect the drains: First, check to make sure the drains in the air system are clear of any obstruction. The air should be able to pass through without any difficulty. This is also a great time to check out many of the other parts, including the filters and receivers, for both efficiency and flow.
- Isolate and repair any leaks: A leak can have a huge effect on the efficiency of your unit. It doesn’t matter if it’s big or small, as any sized leak will cause the unit to draw extra energy, which can end up being quite costly. Examine the unit thoroughly to identify any possible leaks. This early identification will allow you to take care of a leak while it is still small and will likely cost significantly less to repair.
- Clean the filters: Your air compressor won’t function properly if the filters are clogged. Even a minor obstruction will significantly reduce the amount of pressure the unit emits. Clean out the filter to keep the pressure going strong.
Now that the standard maintenance tasks are out of the way, it’s time to focus on the maintenance that will keep your machine strong against the cold. It’s best to complete the following maintenance tasks at least twice a year:
- Inspect the weather stripping: Look for any signs of wear and tear. If it looks damaged in any way, it’s best that you replace the current weather stripping as soon as possible.
- Check the insulation: High quality insulation will prevent the air from exiting the system. Replace any insulation that appears to be ineffective or breaking down.
- Review the openings: This step is especially important if you’re planning to use your portable air compressor outside. Check that the air opening will be protected from any nasty weather, such as rain or snow.
Don’t have time to prepare your air compressor for the months of winter weather still ahead? Then leave the task to the professional air compressor specialists with Valley Hotsy. Our team of experienced technicians will ensure that your portable air compressor is ready for whatever Mother Nature brings. After almost 30 in the business, we’re here to help keep your portable air compressor in Columbus, GA running smoothly all year long!